MSD (Pty) Ltd Data Privacy Practices Commitment to Health Care Professionals
This notice provides a comprehensive overview of the practices of MSD (Pty) Ltd with respect to the collection, use and disclosure of data about health care professionals. In the event of any conflict between notices or consents required by local law and this notices, the notice or consents required by local law will prevail.
Privacy at MSD
Consistent with our tradition of upholding high ethical standards across our business practices, we have demonstrated our commitment to privacy by establishing a global privacy program to support compliance with applicable privacy laws and standards for protecting personal information around the world.
MSD collects, receives, uses and shares identifiable information ("personal information") about physicians, pharmacists, investigators, researchers and other health care professionals in accordance with and as permitted by applicable laws, and, where applicable, as authorised by applicable government authorities, in connection with our everyday business operations, which may include:
- Adverse experience and product complaint reporting
- Communicating information about our product through our professional representatives, our web sites, via e-mail, postal mail and other channels, including promotional and other marketing communications
- Symposia, conferences and other scientific and educational programs
- Financial disclosure reporting
- Business research and marketing research
- Auditing our programs and resources for compliance and security purposes
- Identifying our programs and resources for compliance and security purposes
- Identifying and engaging scientific experts and leaders
- Providing access to our resources and keeping track of our interactions with you both offline and online
- Tracking payments made to health care professionals for services performed on behalf of the company
- Determining the appropriateness, given the requirements of laws applicable to our business, of engaging health care professionals for certain of the business purposes described above
Except where we are required by law or regulation to use or disclose personal information for certain purposes, and except in cases where we may be required to work with or refer you to a third party, you may also opt-out of specific programs by contacting us as described in the "Contact Us" section of this form.
Welke persoonlijke gegevens wij verzamelen (direct van u of informatiebronnen die publiek of van derden zijn) en verstrekken hangt af van de aard van uw relatie met MSD en de vereisten van de toepasselijke wetten. Deze informatie kan onder meer inhouden:
- Contact information
- Professional credentials, publications
- Roles or positions held with governmental bodies or hospital or pay or organisations
- Organisational and institutional affiliations
- Programs and activities in which you participated
- Information about your prescribing of company products
- Agreements you have executed with the company
- Payment-related information
- Your communications preferences
In the section below, we list the reasons that pharmaceuticals companies like MSD typically may share personal information about health care professionals, and whether you can limit this sharing.
|Reasons personal information about you could be shared||Do we share?||Can you limit this sharing?|
|Reporting to government authorities||Yes, for example, to report safety information about our products.||No|
|To parties in relevant legal proceedings to the extend required by applicable law||Yes||No|
|In the event that for business reasons MSD decides to divest part or all of its business through sale, merger or acquisition, to actual or prospective purchasers||Yes, based on written agreements that personal information will be protected appropriately in these circumstances.||Generally, no, except where local law permits you to opt-out or requires your express consent.|
|With companies globally that provide services on our behalf and in accordance with our instructions (for example, to deliver specific information you have requested)||Yes, if the business operation is supported by another company. As a global company, we may work with companies around the world to provide services for or on our behalf, and we will require those companies to protect personal information in accordance with applicable laws, rules and regulations and company privacy policies.||Generally, no, We have instituted policy, contractual and administrative mechanisms requiring protection of personal information by other companies that process personal information on our behalf globally.|
|To affiliates within the MSD (Pty) Ltd family of companies globally for everyday business purposes as described in this notice||Yes, as a global company, we generally share personal information across our offices globally for the purposes described in this notice, however, only those individuals with a legitimate business need to access personal information for these purposes are granted such access.||Generally, no. We have instituted policy, contractual and administrative mechanisms requiring protection of personal information across our business globally.|
If you have questions regarding this notice or the personal information MSD collects, uses and shares about you, or if you would like to change your communication preferences or to opt-out of particular programs, or if you would like to access or update personal information about you in MSD databases, please contact us.
MSD Compliance Officer
Private Bag 3
Telephone No: (011) 655-3000
Fax No: (011) 655-3180
Effective Date: 11 April 2012
MSD reserves the right to modify, add or remove portions of this notice at any time. If we decide to change this notice, we will post the updated notice on our Web sites.